Craig M. Anderson
Wallace Benjamin Flint and L. May Hawver Professor of Chemistry
Director of Undergraduate Research
Inorganic and Organometallic Chemistry
Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar (2011-2016)
Office: Reem-Kayden Center 138
- Ph.D., Inorganic Chemistry, Université de Montréal, Montreal, Quebec. Thesis: Solution and Structural Chemistry of Ruthenium Imidazole Complexes. Advisor: André L. Beauchamp.
- M.Sc., Organometallic Chemistry, Western University, London, Ontario. Thesis: Reactivity of Dimethylplatinum(II) Complexes. Advisor: Richard J. Puddephatt.
- B.Sc., Honours Chemistry, Western University. Thesis: Studies of a Trinuclear Platinum Cluster. Advisor: Richard J. Puddephatt.
We are interested in the study of transition metal complexes with general applications towards bioinorganic and catalytic systems.
Examples of current projects:
Awards and Funding:
- The synthesis of new platinum complexes with chiral and heterocyclic ligands. The study of the oxidative addition reactions of alkyl halides, such as MeI, to the new orthometallated platinum complexes which contain chiral sites in order to determine the stereoselectivity of such reactions.
- The design and synthesis of new ligands in order to produce bis-orthometalled platinum complexes. Such complexes have applications as OLEDs and light harvesting devices.
- The synthesis of di- and multi-nuclear complexes of platinum, iron, and/or ruthenium using bridging ligands containing nitrogen, sulphur or phosphorus and determining their reactivities with biomimetic molecules. It is speculated that the new complexes will have anti-tumor properties.
2017-2020; $245,922 CHE-1665435, "RUI: Metal complexes with Benzothiophene and/or NHC ligands: Synthesis and Applications" has been funded by the Chemical Structure, Dynamics and Mechanisms B Program of the Chemistry Division of the NSF (http://www.nsf.gov/chem).Publications (2005– )
2014-2017; $216,000 CHE-1362858, "RUI: Cyclometalated Platinum Complexes Having Selective Reactivity and Applications in Catalytic, Photophysical, and Bio-Organometallic Systems " has been funded by the Chemical Structure, Dynamics and Mechanisms B Program of the Chemistry Division of the NSF (http://www.nsf.gov/chem).
2011-2016; $60,000. Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award. "Synthesis, Characterization, and Reactivity of Hetero-Multinuclear, Anti-Cancer, Metal Complexes."
2011-2014; CHE-1058936 $198,000. "RUI: Selective C-H and C-X Bond Activation to Platinum(II) and Reactivity of the Cyclometalated Complexes ," has been funded by the Chemical Structure, Dynamics and Mechanisms Program of the Chemistry Division of the NSF (http://www.nsf.gov/chem).
asterisk (*) indicates corresponding author; underline indicates undergraduate author
Research Students Supervised at Bard:
- Francesco Mastrocinque, Craig M. Anderson*, Adel Elkafas, Isabel Ballard, and Joseph M. Tanski. Synthesis, Characterization, and Photophysical Properties of Cyclometalated N-Heterocyclic Carbene Platinum(II) Complexes. Journal of Organometallic Chemistry, Accepted, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jorganchem.2018.10.026
- Swapan Jain*, Craig Anderson, Iden A. Sapse, Silvie H. Lundgren, Abigail K. Freer, Hang Hoang, Kyan Jain and Madeleine Breshears. A ruthenium–platinum metal complex that binds to sarcin ricin loop RNA and lowers mRNA expression. Chemical Communications, 54, 2018, 8987-8990.
- Craig M. Anderson*, Nathaniel Oh, Tedros A. Balema, Francesco Mastrocinque, Claudio Mastrocinque, Danielle Santos, Matthew W. Greenberg, and Joseph M. Tanski. Regioselective C-H/C-X Activation of Naphthyl-Derived Ligands to form Six-Membered Palladacycles. Tetrahedron Letters, 2016, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tetlet.2016.08.092
- Craig M. Anderson*, Matthew W. Greenberg, Lucia Spano, Labeeby Servatius, and Joseph M. Tanski. Regioselective Competition Between The Formation Of Seven-Membered And Five-Membered Cyclometalated Platinacycles Preceded by Csp2- Csp3 Reductive Elimination. Journal of Organometallic Chemistry, 819, 2016, 27-36.
- Craig M. Anderson*, Matthew W. Greenberg, Tedros A. Balema, Leila M. Duman, Nathaniel Oh, Asad Hashmi, Leah Ladner, Kyan Jain, David Yu, and Joseph M. Tanski. Regioselective Formation of Six-Membered and Five-Membered Cyclometalated Platinum Complexes. Tetrahedron Letters, 56, 46, 2015, 6352–6355.
- Craig M. Anderson*, Swapan S. Jain, Lisa Silber, Kody Chen, Sumedha Guha, Wancong Zhang, Emily C. McLaughlin, Yongfeng Hu, and Joseph M. Tanski. Synthesis and Characterization of Water-Soluble, Heteronuclear Ruthenium(III)/Ferrocene Complexes and Their Interactions with Biomolecules Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, 145, 2015, 41-50.
- Craig M. Anderson*, Margarita Crespo*, Nicole Kfoury, Michael Weinstein, Joseph M. Tanski. Regioselective C-H Activation Preceded by Csp2- Csp3 Reductive Elimination from Cyclometalated Platinum(IV). Organometallics, 2013, 32 (15), pp 4199–4207.
- Swapan Jain*, Craig Anderson*, Francesca DiRienzo, Isabelle R. Taylor, Kyan Jain, Sumedha Guha, Nushrat Hoque. RNA binding and yeast growth inhibition by a Ru(III)-Pt(II) metal complex. Chem. Commun., 2013, 49, 5031.
- Craig M. Anderson,* Isabelle R. Taylor, Michael F. Tibbetts, Jessica Philpott, Yongfeng Hu, and Joseph M. Tanski. Hetero-multinuclear Ruthenium(III)/Platinum(II) Complexes That Potentially Exhibit Both Antimetastatic and Antineoplastic Properties. Inorg. Chem. 2012, 51, 12917−12924.
- Craig M. Anderson,* Michael A. Weinstein, James Morris, Nicole Kfoury, Leila Duman, Tedros A. Balema, Ava Kreider-Mueller, Perry Scheetz, Skylar Ferrara, Matteo Chierchia, Joseph M. Tanski. Biscyclometalated platinum complexes with thiophene ligands. Journal of Organometallic Chemistry, 723, 2013, 188-197.
- Margarita Crespo,* Craig M. Anderson,* Nicole Kfoury, Mercè Font-Bardia, and Teresa Calvet. Reductive Elimination from Cyclometalated Platinum(IV) Complexes to Form Csp2- Csp3 Bonds and Subsequent Competition between Csp2 - H and Csp3 - H Bond Activation. Organometallics, 2012, 31, 4401-4404.
- Craig M. Anderson,* Skylar Ferrara, Ava Kreider-Mueller, Joseph M. Tanski. Poly[[mu]3-chlorido-[mu]2-chloridodichlorido([mu]-dimethyl sulfoxide-[kappa]2O:S)(dimethyl sulfoxide-[kappa]O)([mu]-pyrimidine-[kappa]2N:N')ruthenium(III)sodium]. Acta Cryst E, 2011, E67, m756-m757.
- Craig M. Anderson,* Margarita Crespo,* Joseph M. Tanski. Synthesis and Reactivity of Coordination and Cyclometallated Platinum Complexes Containing a Bulky Diimine Ligand. Organometallics, 2010, 29, 2676-2684.
- Margarita Crespo,* Craig M. Anderson,* Joseph M. Tanski. Synthesis of platinum(II) cyclometallated compounds derived from imines containing pyridyl or pyrimidyl groups, Canadian Journal of Chemistry, 2009, 87, 80-87. Special Issue dedicated to Richard J. Puddephatt.
- Amnon Herman, Joseph M. Tanski, Michael F. Tibbetts, Craig M. Anderson.* Synthesis, characterization, and in vitro evaluation of a potentially selective anticancer, mixed-metal [ruthenium(III)-platinum(II)] trinuclear complex, Inorganic Chemistry, 2008, 47, 274-280.
- Craig M. Anderson*, Amnon Herman, Fernande Rochon. Synthesis and characterization of ionic Ru(III) complexes containing dimethylsulfoxide and dinitrogen heterocyclic ligands, Polyhedron, 26 (2007) 3661–3668.
- Joanne D. Kehlbeck, Eric J. Dimise, Sarah M. Sparks, Skylar Ferrara, Joseph M. Tanski, Craig M. Anderson.* A Practical and Efficient Synthesis of 1-Substituted m-Terphenyls, Synthesis, 2007, 1979-1983.
- Craig Anderson,* Margarita Crespo, James Morris, Joseph M. Tanski. Cyclometallated Platinum Complexes with Chiral Ligands, Journal of Organometallic Chemistry 691 (2006) 5647–5653.
- Craig Anderson*, Daniel Freedman, Michael Jennings, Brenda Gray. Dimethylplatinum(II) Complexes with Isocyanocoumarin Ligands: The Crystal Structure of cis-dimethylbis-(7-ethylamino-3-isocyanocoumarin)platinum (II), Journal of Organometallic Chemistry, 690/1 (2005) 168-176.
- Craig Anderson.* Presumptive and Confirmatory Drug Tests, Journal of Chemical Education, 2005, 82, 1809-1811.
Bard College Senior Research Project Advisees:
- Erin Miksic (2003-2004); N.P., Johns Hopkins; Employed Greenbank Birth Center, Greenbank Washington
- Mahmud Hussain (2004-2005); PhD, UPenn; Post-Doc, Broad/Harvard; Employed Lubrizol
- Amnon Herman (2005); Yeshiva School, Jerusalem
- Peter Milano (2005-2006); M.D., University of Florida; Employed Memorial Health Care
- James Morris (2006-2007); PhD, University of Rochester; Employed AgileBio
- Skylar Ferrara (2006-2007); PhD, Tulane; Post Doc, Univ Oregon
- Alexander Kuc (2007-2008); M.S., Columbia Univ.; Medical School St. George's
- Eber Wright (2008-2009); M.S., Georgetown Univ.; Medical School St. George's
- Nicholas Sharac (2008-2009); PhD, UC Irvine
- Ava Kreider-Mueller (2008-2009); PhD, Columbia; Lecturer Clemson University
- Paul Jordan (2009); PhD, Montana State
- Leah Ladner (2009-2010)
- Lisa Silber (2010-2011); M.S., LIU; Employed at Mt. Sinai
- Nicole Kfoury (2011-2012); PhD Candidate, Tufts Univ.
- Isabelle Taylor (2011-2012); PhD Candidate, UCSF
- Perry Scheetz; PhD Candidate, Dartmouth Univ.
- Michael Weinstein; M. Eng., Tufts Univ; Employed Pixelligent Technologies, Baltimore
- Matteo Chierchia; PhD Candidate, Boston College
- Leila Duman; PhD Candidate, University of Maryland
- Tedros Balema; PhD Candidate Tufts
- Matthew Greenberg, PhD Candidate Columbia University
- Kody Chen; Acupuncture School
- Julienne Sarabia
- Sumedha Guha
- Lucia Spano
- Nathaniel Oh
- Asad Hashmi
Other Research Students:
- Ryan Mesina; Employed at WSJ
- Karin Kram; PhD, Columbia; Post-doc, USC, Faculty Cal State
- Samir Taveri; Grad School, UMDNJ
- Nusrah Hussain; PhD, UPenn; Employed at Valspar
- Mihai Duduta; Employed at 24M Technologies
- Marielle DuToit; PhD Candidate, Duke Univ., (Previously Pace Analytical)
- Nina Jankovic; PhD Candidate, Yale Univ.
- Emmanuel Krantz; Employed at Accenture
- Michael Levine; PhD, Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences
- Seb Cendron; M.S., Tufts Univ.
- Thant Koko; PhD Candidate, Wisconsin Med. College
- David Goldberg
- David Yu
- Kyan Jain
back to list of faculty