Professor of Chemistry
Inorganic and Organometallic Chemistry
Director, Chemistry Program
Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar
Office: Reem-Kayden Center 138
- Ph.D., Inorganic Chemistry, Université de Montréal, Montreal, Quebec 1995. Thesis: Solution and Structural Chemistry of Ruthenium Imidazole Complexes. Advisor: André L. Beauchamp.
- M.Sc., Organometallic Chemistry, Western University, London, Ontario 1989. Thesis: Reactivity of Dimethylplatinum(II) Complexes. Advisor: Richard J. Puddephatt.
- B.Sc., Honours Chemistry, Western University 1987. Thesis: Studies of a Trinuclear Platinum Cluster. Advisor: Richard J. Puddephatt.
We are interested in the study of transition metal complexes with general applications towards bioinorganic and catalytic systems.
Examples of current projects:
- The synthesis of new platinum complexes with chiral and heterocyclic ligands. The study of the oxidative addition reactions of alkyl halides, such as MeI, to the new orthometallated platinum complexes which contain chiral sites in order to determine the stereoselectivity of such reactions.
- The design and synthesis of new ligands in order to produce bis-orthometalled platinum complexes. Such complexes have applications as OLEDs and light harvesting devices.
- The synthesis of di- and multi-nuclear complexes of platinum, iron, and/or ruthenium using bridging ligands containing nitrogen, sulphur or phosphorus and determining their reactivities with biomimetic molecules. It is speculated that the new complexes will have anti-tumor properties.
Awards and Funding:
2011-2016; $60,000. Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award.
2011-2014; $198,000. "RUI: Selective C-H and C-X Bond Activation to Platinum(II) and Reactivity of the Cyclometalated Complexes ," has been funded by the Chemical Structure, Dynamics and Mechanisms Program of the Chemistry Division of the NSF (http://www.nsf.gov/chem).
Research Students Supervised at Bard:
Bard College Senior Research Project Advisees:
- Erin Miksic (2003-2004); Grad School, Johns Hopkins
- Mahmud Hussain (2004-2005); Grad School, UPenn; Post-Doc, Broad/Harvard
- Amnon Herman (2005); Yeshiva School, Jerusalem
- Peter Milano (2005-2006); Med. School, UFlorida
- James Morris (2006-2007); Grad School, Rochester
- Skylar Ferrara (2006-2007); Grad School, Tulane
- Alexander Kuc (2007-2008); Grad School, Columbia
- Eber Wright (2008-2009); Grad School, Georgetown
- Nicholas Sharac (2008-2009); Grad School, UC Irvine
- Ava Kreider-Mueller (2008-2009); Grad School, Columbia
- Paul Jordan (2009); Grad School, Montana State
- Leah Ladner (2009-2010)
- Lisa Silber (2010-2011); Grad School, LIU
- Nicole Kfoury (2011-2012); Grad School, Tufts
- Isabelle Taylor (2011-2012); Grad School, UCSF
Other Research Students:
- Ryan Mesina; Employed at Money Magazine
- Karin Kram; Grad School, Columbia; Post-doc, USC
- Samir Taveri; Grad School, UMDNJ
- Nusrah Hussain; Grad Student, UPenn
- Mihai Duduta; Employed at 24M Technologies
- Marielle DuToit; Employed at Pace Analytical
- Nina Jankovik
- Emmanuel Krantz; Employed at Accenture
- Michael Levine; Grad School, Cornell
- Seb Cendron; Grad School, Tufts
- Perry Scheetz; Current Undergrad; REU CENTC
- Thant Koko; Current Undergrad
- Michael Weinstein; Current Undergrad
- Tedros Balma; Current Undergrad
- Leila Duhman; Current Undergrad
- Sumedha Guha; Current Undergrad
- David Goldberg: Current Undergrad
- Matteo Chierchia; Currrent Undergrad
Publications (2005– )
(asterisk (*) indicates corresponding author; underline indicates undergraduate author)
- Craig M. Anderson,* Isabelle R. Taylor, Michael F. Tibbetts, Jessica Philpott, Yongfeng Hu, and Joseph M. Tanski. Hetero-multinuclear Ruthenium(III)/Platinum(II) Complexes That Potentially Exhibit Both Antimetastatic and Antineoplastic Properties. Inorg. Chem. 2012, 51, 12917−12924.
- Craig M. Anderson,* Michael A. Weinstein, James Morris, Nicole Kfoury, Leila Duman, Tedros A. Balema, Ava Kreider-Mueller, Perry Scheetz, Skylar Ferrara, Matteo Chierchia, Joseph M. Tanski. Biscyclometalated platinum complexes with thiophene ligands. Journal of Organometallic Chemistry, 723, 2013, 188-197.
- Margarita Crespo,* Craig M. Anderson,* Nicole Kfoury (Bard 2012), Mercè Font-Bardia, and Teresa Calvet. Reductive Elimination from Cyclometalated Platinum(IV) Complexes to Form Csp2- Csp3 Bonds and Subsequent Competition between Csp2 - H and Csp3 - H Bond Activation. Organometallics, 2012, 31, 4401-4404.
- Craig M. Anderson,* Skylar Ferrara, Ava Kreider-Mueller, Joseph M. Tanski. Poly[[mu]3-chlorido-[mu]2-chloridodichlorido([mu]-dimethyl sulfoxide-[kappa]2O:S)(dimethyl sulfoxide-[kappa]O)([mu]-pyrimidine-[kappa]2N:N')ruthenium(III)sodium]. Acta Cryst E, 2011, E67, m756-m757.
- Craig M. Anderson,* Margarita Crespo,* Joseph M. Tanski. Synthesis and Reactivity of Coordination and Cyclometallated Platinum Complexes Containing a Bulky Diimine Ligand. Organometallics, 2010, 29, 2676-2684.
- Margarita Crespo,* Craig M. Anderson,* Joseph M. Tanski. Synthesis of platinum(II) cyclometallated compounds derived from imines containing pyridyl or pyrimidyl groups, Canadian Journal of Chemistry, 2009, 87, 80-87. Special Issue dedicated to Richard J. Puddephatt.
- Amnon Herman (Bard 2006), Joseph M. Tanski, Michael F. Tibbetts, Craig M. Anderson.* Synthesis, characterization, and in vitro evaluation of a potentially selective anticancer, mixed-metal [ruthenium(III)-platinum(II)] trinuclear complex, Inorganic Chemistry, 2008, 47, 274-280.
- Craig M. Anderson*, Amnon Herman (Bard 2006), Fernande Rochon. Synthesis and characterization of ionic Ru(III) complexes containing dimethylsulfoxide and dinitrogen heterocyclic ligands, Polyhedron, 26 (2007) 3661–3668.
- Joanne D. Kehlbeck, Eric J. Dimise, Sarah M. Sparks, Skylar Ferrara (Bard 2007), Joseph M. Tanski, Craig M. Anderson.* A Practical and Efficient Synthesis of 1-Substituted m-Terphenyls, Synthesis, 2007, 1979-1983.
- Craig Anderson,* Margarita Crespo, James Morris (Bard 2007), Joseph M. Tanski. Cyclometallated Platinum Complexes with Chiral Ligands, Journal of Organometallic Chemistry 691 (2006) 5647–5653.
- Craig Anderson*, Daniel Freedman, Michael Jennings, Brenda Gray (Bard 1998). Dimethylplatinum(II) Complexes with Isocyanocoumarin Ligands: The Crystal Structure of cis-dimethylbis-(7-ethylamino-3-isocyanocoumarin)platinum (II), Journal of Organometallic Chemistry, 690/1 (2005) 168-176.
- Craig Anderson.* Presumptive and Confirmatory Drug Tests, Journal of Chemical Education, 2005, 82, 1809-1811.
back to list of faculty