EducationPh.D., Organic Chemistry, Rutgers University (1961)
M.S., Organic Chemistry, University of Vermont (1957)
Sc.B., Chemistry, Brown University (1956)
Research My research is directed toward developing a better understanding of how and why chemical reactions occur. Our recent efforts have been focused upon how acids and other electrophiles can add to multiple bonds between carbon atoms. These reactions are central to organic chemistry and have been the subject of extensive study for many years. Although textbooks have generally stated that carbon-carbon double bonds and triple bonds react by the same mechanism, we disputed this in 1993 and published supporting research in 1998. Most recent textbooks now present our views on this subject. Our current work is aimed at applying our experimental approach to a wider range of situations and organic structures. The American Chemical Society has supported undergraduate students who worked on this research during the summer.
- Hilton M. Weiss, Kim M. Touchette, Franz Anderson and David Iskakov, "Regiochemical Variation in the Electrophilic Addition of HBr to 1-phenylprop-yne," Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, 2003, 2148-2151.
- Hilton M. Weiss, Kim M. Touchette, Sarah Angell and Jihan Khan, "The Concerted Addition of HBr to Aryl Alkynes; orthogonal pi Bond Selectivity," Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, 2003, 2151-2156.
- Hilton M. Weiss, Kim M. Touchette, and Gavin Jones, "Ion-Pair Formation in the Addition of Protic Reagents," Journal of the Chemical Society, Perkin II, 2002, 756-758.
- Hilton M. Weiss and Kim M. Touchette, "Halide Assisted Addition of Hydrogen Halides to Alkenes," Journal of the Chemical Society, Perkin II, 1998, 1517.
- Hilton M. Weiss and Kim M. Touchette, "Bromide Assisted Addition of Hydrogen Bromide to Alkynes and Allenes," Journal of the Chemical Society, Perkin II, 1998, 1523.
- Hilton M. Weiss, "Further Comments upon the Electrophilic Additions to Alkenes and Alkynes," Journal of Chemical Education, 1996, 73, 1082.
- Hilton M. Weiss, "The Addition of Hydrogen Bromide to Simple Alkenes," Journal of Chemical Education, 1995, 72, 848.
- Kim M. Touchette, Hilton M. Weiss and Daniel Rozenberg, "The Hydration of 1-Hexene and 1-Hexyne," Journal of Chemical Education, 1994, 71, 534.
- Hilton M. Weiss, "The Electrophilic Addition to Alkynes" Journal of Chemical Education, 1993, 70, 873.
- Hilton M. Weiss, "On the Aqueous Bromination of Maleate and Fumarate Ions," Journal of the American Chemical Society, 1977, 99, 1670.
back to list of faculty