Associate Professor of Chemistry
Director, Chemistry Program
Office: Reem Kayden Center 134
Link to Professional Website
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Boston University (2009)
- Research Advisor: Prof. Thomas Tullius
- PhD, Biochemistry, Georgia Institute of Technology (2006)
- Research Advisor: Prof. Nicholas Hud
- BS, Chemistry & Biology, Kennesaw State University (2001)
- Research Advisors: Prof. Jennifer Powers and Prof. Kenneth Hughes
- Basic Principles of Chemistry I (Chem 141)
- Basic Principles of Chemistry II (Chem 142)
- Biochemistry (Chemistry 390)
- Analytical and Physical Laboratory Techniques (Chem 350)
- Structure and Function of Nucleic Acids (Chem 441)
The focus of our research group is to understand the interactions of small molecule ligands with RNA and DNA. Specifically, we are investigating the binding of transition metal complexes as well as purine analogs to RNA and the role that these molecules play in modulating RNA structure as well as genetic expression.
- RNA has a three-dimensional folded structure that parallels the complexity of proteins. Riboswitches are regions in mRNA that control genetic expression upon binding of ligands. Our goals in this project are to identify structural changes that occur at the single base level upon binding of ligands to RNA. Specifically, we want to take a closer look at mRNAs involved in the purine metabolic pathways.
- RNA interactions with transition metal complexes containing ruthenium, iron, and platinum are studied using a variety of chemical, physical, and biological tools with the pursuit of obtaining novel and effective chemotherapeutics.
Selected Publications (undergraduate authors underlined, Bard students denoted with *)
- 2016: Sunderland, J., Tao, X., Butrick, E., Keilich, L., Villa, C., Miecznikowski, J.R., Jain, S.S. Investigation of liver alcohol dehydrogenase catalysis using an NADH biomimetic and comparison with a synthetic zinc model complex. Polyhedron, 114, 145-151.
- 2015: Jain, S.S., Sonavane, U., Uppuladinne, M., McLaughlin, E.C., *Weiqing, W., *Black, S., Joshi, R.R. “Structural Insights into the Interactions of xpt Riboswitch with Novel Guanine Analogues: A Molecular Dynamics Simulation Study” J. Biomolecular Structure and Dynamics 33 (2), 234-243.
- 2015: Anderson, C.M., Jain, S.S., *Silber, L., *Chen, K., *Guha, S., *Zhang, W., McLaughlin, E., Hu, Y., Tanski, J. “Synthesis and Characterization of Water-Soluble, Heteronuclear Ruthenium(III)/Ferrocene Complexes and Their Interactions with Biomolecules”. J. Inorganic Biochemistry 145, 41 - 50.
- 2014: Ingle, S., Azad, R., Jain, S.S., Tullius, T.D. “Chemical Probing of RNA using the hydroxyl radical at single-atom resolution” Nucleic Acids Research 42 (20), 12758 - 12767.
- 2013: Jain, S. S., Anderson, C. M., *Di Rienzo, F., *Taylor, I., *Jain, K., *Guha, S., *Hoque, N. “RNA Binding and Inhibition of Primer Extension by a Ru(III)/Pt(II) Metal Complex” Chemical Communications 49, 5031 – 5033.
- 2013: Jain, S. S., LaFratta, C. N., *Medina, A., *Pelse, I. “Proflavine-DNA Binding using a Handheld Fluorimeter” J. Chem. Ed. 90, 1215-1217.
- 2013: Miecznikowski, J.R., Lynn, M.A., Jasinski, J., Jain, S.S., Buttrick, Drosdoski, Archer, Panarra, “Synthesis, Characterization, Density Functional Theory Calculations, and Activity of Tridentate NNN Zinc Pincer Complexes” Inorganica Chimica Acta 394, 310-321.
- 2013: LaFratta, C.N., Jain, S. S., *Pelse, I., *Simoska, O., Elvy, K. Using a Homemade Flame Photometer to Measure Sodium Concentration in a Sports Drink” J. Chem. Ed. 90, 3, 372 – 375.
- (2012) Miecznikowski, J.R., Lo, W., Lynn, M.A., Jain, S.S., Keilich, L.C., Kloczko, N.F., O’Loughlin, B.E., DiMarzio, A., Foley, K.M., Lisi, G.P., Kwiecien, D.J., *Abbasee, R. “Synthesis, Characterization, Density Functional Theory Calculations, Biochemical Assays and Activity of Tridentate SNS Zinc Pincer Complexes Based on Bis-Imidazole or Bis-Triazole Precursors” Inorganica Chimica Acta. 387, 25-36.
- (2008) Jain, S.S., Tullius, T.D. “Footprinting Protein-DNA Complexes using the Hydroxyl Radical” Nature Prot. 3, 1092-1100.
- (2007) Hud, N.V., Jain, S.S., Li, X., Lynn, D.G., “Addressing the Problems of Base Pairing and Strand Cyclization in Template-Directed Synthesis Reactions” Chemistry & Biodiversity. 4, 768-783.
- (2005) Powers, J.L., Andrews, C.S., St. Antoine, C.C., Jain, S.S., Bevilacqua, V.L., “An SDS-PAGE Examination of Protein Quaternary Structure and Disulfide Bonding for a Biochemistry Laboratory” J. Chem. Ed. 82, 93-95.
- (2004) Persil, Ö, Santai, C.T., Jain, S.S, Hud, N.V., "Assembly of an Antiparallel Homo-Adenine DNA Duplex by Small Molecule Binding" J. Am. Chem. Soc. 126, 8644-8645.
- (2004) Jain, S.S., Anet, F.A.L., Stahle, C.J., Hud, N.V., “Enzymatic Behavior by Intercalating Molecules and their Putative Role in the RNA World” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 43, 2004-2008.
- (2003) Jain, S.S., Polak, M., Hud, N.V., “Controlling Nucleic Acid Secondary Structure by Intercalation: Effects of DNA Strand Length on Coralyne Driven Duplex Disproportionation” Nucleic Acids Res. 31, 4608-4615.
- (2002) Bevilacqua, V.L.H., Powers, J.L., Vogelien, D.L., Rascati, R.J., Hall, M., Diehl, K., Tran, C., Jain, S.S., Chabayta, R., “Collaboration between Chemistry and Biology to Introduce Spectroscopy, Electrophoresis, and Molecular Biology as Tools for Biochemistry” J. Chem. Ed. 79, 1311.
Current Research Students in the Jain Lab (with expected graduation year)
- Miguel Garchitorena 2017
- Tamaki Chiba 2017
- Madeleine Breshears 2018
- Hang Hoang 2018
- Humam Al Rubaiye 2019
Senior Thesis Projects (with graduation year and current position)
- Nicholas Wilton 2010 Ph.D. from Tufts University.
- Stavros Vellisaris 2011 Medical student at St. George’s Medical School in Cyprus.
- Angela Potenza 2011 University of Pennsylvania Veterinary School student.
- Jing Yang 2012 Graduate student at University College London.
- Weiqing Wang 2013 Ph.D. student at Mt. Sinai School of Medicine.
- James Sunderland 2013 Teacher, Chemistry and English in Brazil.
- Sheneil Black 2013 Currently applying to dental schools.
- Wancong Zhang 2013 Research Associate at MIT.
- Iden Sapse 2014 Research Associate at Weill Cornell Medical School.
- Lila Low-Beinart 2014 Research Associate at Merck Pharmaceuticals.
- Nushrat Hoque 2014 Currently applying to graduate schools.
External Grants for Undergraduate Research
- Research Corporation 2012 $ 45,000
- Dreyfus Foundation 2013 $ 18,500
back to list of faculty