Justin T. Foy
Visiting Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Organic Chemistry and Materials
Office: Reem-Kayden Center 140
• Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Strasbourg, ICS (2014-2016)
Research Advisor: Prof. Nicolas Giuseppone
• Ph.D., Chemistry, Dartmouth College (2013)
Research Advisor: Prof. Ivan Aprahamian
• B.S., Biochemistry, Saint Michael’s College (2008)
Research Advisor: Prof. Brian Kyte
• Basic Principles of Chemistry I (Chemistry 141)
• Basic Principles of Chemistry II (Chemistry 142)
Our research is focused on the synthesis of new heterocyclic compounds and materials that are responsive to stimuli (light, chemical, redox, etc.). We will be integrating their structures into new molecular devices and materials. Just a few of the topics we will explore are artificial muscles (light-activated materials), synthetic receptors, supramolecular polymers/ adaptive materials and multi-component systems. We will focus on studying structure–property relationships to tune these functional materials for a range of applications such as energy storage (photomechanical polymers), medical (drug delivery, biodegradability) and nanotechnology (device fabrication).
(6) J. T. Foy, Q. Li, A. Goujon, J. R. Collard-Itte, G. Fuks, E. Moulin, O. Schiffman, D. Dattler, D. F. Funeriu, N. Giuseppone, “Dual-light Control of Nanomachines that Integrate Motor and Modulator Subunits”, N. Nanotech. 2017, doi: 10.1038/nnano.2017.28.
(5) Q. Li, G. Fuks, E. Moulin, M. Maaloum, M. Rawiso, I. Kulic, J. T. Foy, N. Giuseppone, “Macroscopic Contraction of a Gel Induced by the Integrated Motion of Light-Driven Molecular Motors", N. Nanotech. 2015, 10, 161–165.
(4) J. T. Foy, D. Ray, I. Aprahamian, “Regulating Signal Enhancement with Coordination-Coupled Deprotonation of a Hydrazone Switch”, Chem. Sci. 2015, 6, 209–213.
(3) L. A. Tatum, J. T. Foy, I. Aprahamian, “Waste Management of Chemically Activated Switches: Using a Photoacid To Eliminate Accumulation of Side Products”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2014, 136, 17438–17441.
(2) D. Ray, J. T. Foy, R. P. Hughes, I. Aprahamian, “A Switching Cascade of Hydrazone-based Rotary Switches through Coordination–Coupled Proton Relays”, N. Chem. 2012, 4, 757−762.
(1) J. T. Foy, E. B. Wilkes, I. Aprahamian, “The Self-Assembly of Benzyl Cyclopentadienyl Lithium”, CrystEngComm 2012, 14, 6126−6128.
back to list of faculty